Underwriter – In-force Business
Boston Mutual Life Insurance Company was founded in 1891 and has been a stable financially strong company for over 125 years.
Boston Mutual is proud to promote our corporate principles of Service, Value, and Integrity. As well as being a financially strong and reputable company to do business with, Boston Mutual offers its employees a wide array of competitive benefits to full time employees. These include Health, Dental, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance, generous paid vacation time, free parking, paid holidays, 401K program, Flex Spending, tuition reimbursement, and an employee assistance program as well as offering flexible work schedules.
All Boston Mutual employees who interact with our policyholders, our producers, and our BML associates embrace the principles of our brand and service philosophy. We are all brand ambassadors. Both our words and our behaviors matter. We share a common service philosophy and pride ourselves in living the BML brand promises every day, one interaction at a time.
We do our best to:
• Demonstrate a desire to assist.
• Listen for understanding and respond empathetically.
• Explain things in a manner that is easy to understand.
• Be knowledgeable students of our business.• Take full ownership to resolve questions and issues.
• Be professional, polite and courteous.
• Leave our customers and associates “better than where we found them.”
The Underwriter is responsible for underwriting assigned renewals and re-enrollment cases and demonstrates the highest levels of service professionalism in all they do.
The Underwriter is expected to:
• Apply sound, creative underwriting and business judgment in the timely analysis and evaluation of insurance risks to contribute to the growth and profitability of the organization. This includes reviewing in force cases for workplace insurance, analyzing manual rated groups, running and analyzing experience rated groups, preparing renewal proposals, negotiating rates based on the competition, cooperating with the reinsurers’ offices and updating the information in the applicable systems.
• Work independently but seek guidance on more complex cases.
• Perform financial analysis of blocks of business to ensure profitable growth.
• May provide technical backup at sales presentations to clients/brokers.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external clients through professional negotiation, responsive communication, and problem resolution in anticipation of internal and external client expectations.
• Handle existing account change requests including review of requests for the policy changes on in-force groups, assessing risk, presenting alternative plans, re-rating the group if necessary and approving/declining the applicable amendment.
• Review financial results of existing accounts for renewal purposes and make appropriate rate and plan adjustments in order to maintain account profitability and that of our entire block of business.
• Review Benefit Summaries as required.
• Actively contribute to special projects; assists other underwriters as needed.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree Business, Statistics, Math or Economics preferred.
Experience: Minimum 3 years of insurance experience required.
• Knowledge in underwriting policies, guidelines, practices and procedures.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively build and extend relationships.
• Demonstrated high integrity, ability to follow through on commitments, and understanding of how to build relationships & trust among diverse groups.
• Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with a strong decision-making capacity; demonstrated ability to take initiative with a “can do” attitude.
• Ability to work effectively, collaborate, and influence at a peer level within a team setting
• Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to context, substance and detail.
• Excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Shows initiative with the ability to create and implement changes that will improve workflow
• Proven track record of working knowledge of Boston Mutual Workplace Solutions or related industry products, enrollment systems and administrative processes preferred.
• Exceptional analytical skills; knowledge of Excel applications, including use of pivot tables.
Certifications/Licensures: CLU or FLMI preferred; industry coursework desired.